How to Sync a Wii Remote to Wii, Wii U or PC. It only takes a few moments to connect a Wii Remote to your console. You can sync a Wii Remote with a Wii or Wii U console by pressing the sync button on both the remote and the console.
You will need to pair each Wii Remote separately before using them. If the Wii Remote does not sync, make sure the batteries are not dead and try closing the currently open game.
Before starting to play on your Nintendo Wii or Wii U, you will need to connect the Wii Remote with the console. If you have paired the headphones to your phone via Bluetooth before, then you are probably familiar with the steps to take.
Here's how to sync a Wii Remote with a Wii or Wii U and what to do if they don't connect.
How to Sync the Wii Remote with a Wii
- Turn on the Wii and open the SD card cover on the front of the console to find the SYNC button. It is a dark red square.
- Take the Wii Remote you want to sync and remove the battery cover to find the SYNC Button, a small red button under the batteries.
- If you have one of the special Wii Remotes with a hole in the battery cover and a tool on the wrist strap to press the SYNC button, you can skip this step.
- Press and release the SYNC Button on the Wii Remote. The four lights on the front of the Wii Remote will flash.
- While the lights on the Wii Remote continue to flash, press and release the SYNC Button on the Wii console.
- When the four lights on the Wii Remote stop flashing and one light stays on (indicating the player's number, from one to four), you have successfully paired the remote.
Repeat these steps for any additional Wii Remotes. You can pair up to four Wii Remotes with one console at the same time.
How to Sync the Wii Remote with a Wii U
- With your Wii U turned on, grab the Wii Remote you wish to sync and remove the battery cover to find the small red SYNC button. If you have a Wii Remote with a hole in the battery cover leading to the SYNC button, you can just use it.
- Press and hold the SYNC Button located on the front of the Wii U console for a few seconds until the Sync Menu appears on the screen.
- Press the SYNC Button on the Wii Remote. The four lights on the front of the remote will begin to flash, and once paired with the console only one will remain on. It will also appear on the screen in box 1.
Repeat these steps for any other controllers you want to pair. You can sync up to four Wii Remotes to one Wii U, but you can only connect one GamePad at a time.
How to connect Wii remote to PC
Your Wii Remotes and consoles connect via a Bluetooth connection. This means that your Wii Remotes can be connected to other devices, such as computers.
If you want to connect the Wii Remote to your PC, for example to use it with the Dolphin emulator, here's what you will do.
- Open Control Panel and select Add a device.
- When the PC starts searching for devices to connect to, press the SYNC button on the back of the Wii Remote.
- An option will appear in the device list named Nintendo RVL and a series of letters and numbers. Click this and then click NEXT.
- You will be asked for a passcode. Just click NEXT without entering one.
The Wii Remote is now connected to the PC.
What to do if Nintendo Switch does not connect to Wi-Fi
- How to program a universal remote control
- What to do if the Samsung TV remote control does not work?
- How to pair the Amazon Fire Stick remote
- 9 solutions for when your Fire TV Stick remote won't pair
- How to use your Huawei phone as a remote control for TVs and other devices