If you have Avast Antivirus software installed on your computer, you should know that Web Shield is an integral part of this software. Avast Web Shield scans all data your PC receives over the Internet, from online browsing to downloading. This is how it prevents malware and spyware from accessing and downloading.
Avast Web Shield must always be enabled on the desktop / laptop, especially if it is often connected to the internet. However, if you can't get it to work because Avast Web Shield won't turn on, don't worry. Read this article to know how to fix Avast Web Shield won't activate.
How to fix Avast Web Shield won't activate
Why won't Avast Web Shield turn on?
There could be numerous reasons that could lead to this problem. Listed below are some common on why Avast Web Shield fails to activate on Windows systems:
- Incompatibility between the version of Avast installed and the operating system
- Web protection was manually disabled
- Malware or bug in the Avast application
Here are the methods you can use to fix the problem with Avast Web Shield. However, before implementing any steps, it is essential to perform some preliminary checks.
You must restart your computer to update the Windows operating system and delete unwanted temporary data stored on it.
1. Press the Windows key.
2. Go to Start menu> Power> Restart, as highlighted below.
3. Wait for the PC to restart.
Now you can try one of the solutions listed below to fix the problem.
Method 1: restart the Avast Antivirus service
The software can only work on your PC when the Windows operating system allows its services to run. If a program service does not work correctly, the program may not function correctly.
Therefore, the “Avast Web Shield does not stay active” problem may occur due to a problem with the Avast Antivirus service. Follow the given steps to make sure the Avast Antivirus service is running:
1. Type Services in the bar Windows search and launch the Services app from the search results. Refer to the image below for clarity.
2. In the Services window, locate the Avast Antivirus service.
Final report: all services are listed in alphabetical order.
3. Then, right-click the Avast Antivirus service and select Property. The image provided below is an example of how it will be displayed.
4. Now check it out state of service. If the status indicates In execution, click on Stop. Otherwise, skip this step.
5. Then, go to the option titled Startup type and select Automatic from the drop-down menu.
6. Confirm the user account dialog box by clicking Yes, if requested.
7. Finally, click Start and then on OK. Refer to the highlighted sections of the photo given.
8. Restart Avast to save your changes.
Now, check if you are able to fix Avast Web Shield will not trigger the problem.
Final report: you could receive theError 1079 when you click Start. If you do, read below to fix it.
How to fix error 1079
When you click Start in the Service Properties window, you may receive an error message stating: The Avast Antivirus service could not be started on local computer. Error 1079: The account specified for this service is different from the account specified for other services running in the same process.
Follow the steps below to resolve this error:
1. Switch to the window Properties of the Avast Antivirus service following steps 1-3 of Method 1.
2. This time, go to the tab Log in in the Properties window. Here, click Shop by Department, as shown.
3. Below the text field titled Enter the name of the object to select (examples):, type il username of your account.
4. Then click Verify names and then click OK once you have found your username, as highlighted below.
5. If prompted, enter the password of the your account.
You will no longer receive error 1079 when you press the button Start as you did previously.
Method 2: Repair Avast
If the Avast Antivirus service is working correctly, the same error is displayed and there may be a problem with the Avast application itself. In this case, we will use its built-in feature called Avast Repair which performs basic troubleshooting and fixes minor problems.
Run Avast Repair to potentially fix Avast Web Shield will not trigger the issue, as explained below:
1. Digita Add or remove programs in the bar Windows search and launch it from the search results, as shown.
2. Now, type avast Antivirus in the text field Search this list highlighted.
3. Click avast Antivirus in the search results and select Modification. Refer to the image given for clarity.
4. Then click Repair in Avast installation window displayed.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the process to complete.
Once the repair is complete, launch Avast and check if Web Shield is enabled. If the problem persists, go to the method below to update Avast antivirus.
Method 3: Update Avast
Avast's Web Shield component may not work because the Avast Antivirus application has not been updated to the latest version. This could cause compatibility problems with the Windows operating system.
You need to update Avast by following these steps:
1. Find Avast looking for it in the bar Windows search. Then, launch it by clicking on it.
2. Then click on the tab Update in the Avast user interface.
3. Click the icons Update next to Virus definitions e Program.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the update process to complete.
5. After the update is complete, restart your PC.
Now launch Avast and activate Web Shield. If Avast Web Shield does not activate, the problem persists; you will need to perform a clean installation of Avast Antivirus as explained in the method below.
Method 4: reinstall Avast
If the methods mentioned above did not help to solve this problem, then you need to perform a clean install or reinstall of Avast. This will replace any corrupted or missing Avast application files with the correct ones. This should resolve all conflicts with the Avast software and resolve Avast Web shield not activating.
Follow the steps written below to perform a clean installation of Avast Antivirus:
1. First, click this link to install theAvast uninstall utility, as shown.
2. After downloading the two previous files, start Windows in Safe Mode.
3. After entering the Safe mode, run theAvast uninstall utility.
4. Next, select the folder where the is installed old Avast Antivirus.
5. Finally, click Uninstall.
6. After Avast has been uninstalled, restart Windows in normal mode.
7. Click this link, then click Download free protection to download the latest Avast Antivirus application, as shown below.
8. Run the setup program and install Avast Antivirus.
9. Start Avast and turn on Protection Web.
We hope this guide has been helpful and you have been able to Fix Avast Web Shield Won't Turn On. Let us know which method worked best for you. Also, if you have any questions or suggestions about this article, feel free to write them in the comments section below.
- How to fix Avast won't open on Windows
- How to completely uninstall Avast on Mac
- Avast won't open on Windows? 6 ways to solve
- The best alternatives to Avast Antivirus
- How to disable Avast