“Microsoft 365” is the new name for the Microsoft Office 365 subscription service. It includes everything that includes Office 365 and more. Sign up to access Microsoft Office applications like Word, 1 TB of OneDrive storage, minutes to call phones from Skype, and more.
A rebranded Office 365 (with more features)
If you're familiar with Office 365, you already know what Microsoft 365 is. It's a subscription plan that costs € 100 per year for up to six people or € 70 per year for one person. Microsoft hasn't raised the price.
After payment, you can access Microsoft Office applications such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint on Windows PC, Mac, iPad and any other platform supported by Microsoft. You also get 1 TB of OneDrive storage per person and 60 Skype minutes to call landline and mobile numbers from Skype.
Office 365 was a great deal if you're looking for Microsoft Office, as well as Microsoft 365. Microsoft still offers a free trial version of Microsoft 365, which is a way to get Office for free. Microsoft's Office Online web applications are still free to use in a subscription-free browser.
It might interest you: The best free alternatives to Microsoft Excel
What new features does Microsoft 365 include?
Microsoft unveiled a variety of features when it revealed Microsoft 365 on March 30, 2020. Many of these look like features that would make it to Office 365 anyway, but Microsoft points out that it wants to “help you and your family with work, school and life. “This means new tools to improve web writing, finance management and connecting with family and friends. Here are some of the coolest new features:
- Check your writing with Microsoft Editor: Microsoft Editor will help you correct the grammar and style of your writing. This is Microsoft's answer to Grammarly, a powerful writing tool that works anywhere on the Web. It is an "artificial intelligence-based service" that works in more than 20 languages. It works on Word and Outlook.com, but you can install the Microsoft Editor extension for Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge to take advantage of it on any website. It also helps with inserting citations to documents in Microsoft Word.
- Download transactions from banks in Excel: Microsoft has announced "Money in Excel", which will allow you to connect to bank accounts and credit cards directly from Excel. You can download the transaction details and import them into a budget or other financial spreadsheet just as if you were using a tool like Mint. It uses Plaid, a popular network that many personal financial tools now use to connect to accounts.
- Talk to family and friends with Microsoft Teams: Microsoft Teams is Microsoft's answer to Slack. Both were primarily intended for workplaces. Now, Microsoft is adding new features to Teams for your personal life. You can create team groups for your friends and families to plan trips, organize meetings or just keep in touch with the people you care about. Teams has built-in features like group chats, video calls, shared to-do lists, and calendars to make it all possible.
- Protect your family with Microsoft Family Safety: “Microsoft Family Safety” is a new app for iPhone and Android. It will help you manage your family's screen time on Windows 10, Android, and Xbox. It also includes location sharing notifications, so you can see where your family is on a map and get notifications when they arrive and leave work or school.
Overall, Microsoft 365 is basically the same, and many of these features still appear to have been added to Office 365. However, it shows that Microsoft is focusing on "Microsoft 365" as a larger subscription service that is not limited to use. office applications to get the job done. It is about providing tools for subscribers in their personal life.
Expect many of these personal productivity features to arrive in Microsoft 365 in the future. In 2022, ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley reported that Microsoft may include a password manager in Microsoft 365. However, as of launch, Microsoft hasn't announced anything about it yet.
Read on: The best alternatives to Microsoft Office
- How to install and use Microsoft Teams on Fire Stick
- What is Microsoft Teams?
- Microsoft Store does not open in Windows 11
- Download, install and use Microsoft Teams on PC (Windows and Mac)
- How to use Microsoft Word Online