You don't have to share your home's internet bandwidth if you don't want to. You can disable Amazon Sidewalk at any time via the Alexa and Ring apps. Amazon Sidewalk allows you to share some of your internet bandwidth with nearby Amazon devices. Most Echo and Ring devices have Amazon Sidewalk turned on by default.
Amazon Sidewalk is a shared public mesh network developed to extend the connectivity and reliability of low-bandwidth smart devices, even if they are out of range or Wi-Fi freezes. To accomplish this wide-ranging shared network, Amazon takes a small chunk of Internet bandwidth from homes with Sidewalk-enabled devices, ultimately creating one large public mesh network.
The service works by transforming devices, like Echo speakers and Ring cameras, into what the company calls Sidewalk Bridges. Think of them as network bridges that keep everything connected. Here is a list of devices that also act as a Sidewalk Bridge:
|Ring Floodlight Cam||2022|
|Ring Spotlight Cam Wired||2022|
|Ring Spotlight Cam Mount||2022|
|Echo||Third generation and later|
|Echo Dot||Third generation and later|
|Echo Dot for Kids||Third generation and later|
|Echo Dot with Clock||Third generation and later|
|Echo Plus||All generations|
|Eco Show||All models and generations|
|Echo Spot||All generations|
|Echo Input||All generations|
In terms of data, Amazon says the maximum shared bandwidth is low. Amazon is limiting the total monthly data used by Sidewalk to 500 megabytes, which is the same as streaming a 10-minute video in HD.
By sharing a portion of your internet bandwidth with your neighbors, the idea is that your devices can run over a much wider range. But it's also this aspect of Sidewalk, sharing home Internet bandwidth with strangers, that worries some users.
By default, compatible devices will automatically have Sidewalk enabled. But if you want to turn off the service, you can quickly turn it on or off via the Alexa and Ring apps.
How to disable Amazon Sidewalk
How to disable Amazon Sidewalk via the Alexa app
- On your phone, open the Alexa app and tap Other.
- Select Settings then tap Account settings.
- Toccata Amazon Sidewalk and touch disable.
How to disable Amazon Sidewalk through the Ring app
- On your phone, open the Ring app and tap the three lines in the top left corner of the screen.
- Select Control Center and then tap Sidewalk.
- Tap the scroll button Sidewalk.
- Confirm your decision on the screen that appears.
- How to disable HD on YouTube
- How to enable (and disable) subtitles on Amazon Prime Video
- A guide to setting up and using OneDrive on Mac
- Amazon Prime: how to share an account with family and friends
- The best video cards