How to connect two monitors to your Windows PC or Mac computer. Connecting dual screens can increase productivity and free space. To connect two monitors on your computer, you will need to connect all of your monitors with HDMI or VGA cables. After connecting the two displays to the computer, open the “Display” menu of the PC or Mac. You can connect your two monitors to view the same image or work separately.
In an office it is common to see people using multiple monitors on the same computer. It's a great way to expand your workspace and use many different apps at the same time. Fortunately, dual monitors aren't just for professionals. You can easily connect two monitors to your PC and Mac. You just need the monitors and cables to connect them.
Important: You can also connect two monitors to your laptop. The laptop screen will be counted as one of the monitors.
How to connect two monitors on a Windows 10 computer
1. Connect both monitors to the computer tower or laptop you are using and make sure they are both turned on. Depending on your monitor and computer, you will need a VGA, HDMI or USB cable. In some cases, a combination of different cables may be required.
Your computer should recognize the new monitor right away. Both screens will turn black and may flicker slightly.
2. Once the screen is back, right-click on an empty part of your PC desktop and a drop-down menu will appear. Click Display Settings.
3. Scroll down to the option Multiple displays, open the drop-down menu and choose how you want the two monitors to work. Here are your options:
- Extend these displays: you can set screens to display different things and the mouse cursor can move between them.
- Duplicate these displays: this option will show the same image on both screens, which can be useful for PowerPoint presentations and lessons.
- Show only on 1: select this option if you want to use only the primary monitor.
- Show only on 2: select this option if you want to use only the secondary monitor.
4. After selecting an option, click Keep Changes.
5. If you have chosen the option Extend these screens, scroll back to the section Rearrange your screens. Your primary monitor will be listed as "1" and your new monitor will be listed as "2". Click and drag them to match their arrangement in real life, then click Apply .
How to use dual monitors on a Mac
- You can install two monitors to your MacBook, iMac, or Mac Mini using an HDMI cable. If your Mac device doesn't have an HDMI port, you'll need to plug the HDMI cable into a USB cable or hub, then plug it into your Mac. Your computer should recognize the new monitor right away. Both screens will turn black and may flicker slightly.
- Once the display is back, open the System Preferences app (you can click on the Apple logo in the top right corner of the screen and open it from there) and select Display .
- Two windows will open, one on each display. The window on the main display will have more options - use this window and click Layout up.
- If you want both monitors to show the same image, select Mirror Displays . If you want them to work separately, uncheck it.
- Click and drag the blue boxes to match the layout of the monitors in real life. You can also click and drag just the white bar to choose which monitor has the Dock - this will be your primary monitor.
- How to connect multiple monitors at the same time in Windows 10
- The best curved monitors
- How to connect 3 monitors to the laptop
- How to connect Chromebook to the monitor
- The best adapters from HDMI to VGA