Avast antivirus has been around for some time and is one of the best antivirus options for Mac and Windows PC that you can download for free. While its online threat protection works well, it has its flaws.
Sometimes the Avast user interface does not load or the program does not open. The following are the reasons why Avast might not open:
- Incompatibility issues that can lead to BSOD errors
- Conflicts with drivers with other apps
- A damaged Avast installation
- The service stops working correctly
What to do when Avast won't open on Windows 10
- The best free antivirus for PC of 2022
- The nine best antivirus online
- Free antivirus for Android, the best of 2020
- Free antivirus for Windows, the best of 2020
- The best AirPods alternatives
If you're using a Windows 10 PC, you have Windows Defender by default, but Avast provides the following:
- Advanced antivirus protection against viruses or malware
- Extra security features, including browser cleanup, behavior protection, and remote assistance
Here are some fixes you can use when Avast won't open in Windows 10.
Update Avast and your PC's operating system
Before trying the other solutions in this guide, check if the Avast application and your computer's operating system are up to date.
Follow these steps to check if you are using the latest version of Avast antivirus:
- Right-click the app icon Avast and select Update > Program.
- Select Check for updates and wait for the program to check and install the updates.
- Once the update is complete, a status message is displayed informing you that the application is updated.
- Restart your computer to complete the update.
Make sure you update Windows to the latest version of the operating system, but if Avast still doesn't open, try the solutions below.
Check the Avast installation
If installed correctly, the Avast app will appear in the list of apps and features on Windows. If it doesn't open, you may need to verify that the app is properly installed, activated, and updated.
- Right-click on Start > App and features.
- If Avast does not appear in the Apps & Features list, it is not installed correctly on your PC and you will need to download and reinstall it.
The best alternatives to Avast Antivirus
Check the status of your Avast subscription
Avast Free Antivirus activates automatically after installation, but you may be prompted to reactivate it after 12 months.
- Right-click the Avast icon in the Windows system tray area and select Information of registration.
- Select Update Now in screen I my subscriptions.
- In the column Avast Free Antivirus, do click su Select.
- Select the icon X in the new screen to return to screen I my subscriptions. This activates Avast Free Antivirus for another 12 months.
Note - If you are using a paid version of Avast Antivirus, follow the instructions for Avast Premium Security or Avast Omni to activate your subscription.
Restart the Avast antivirus service
When Avast does not open, the Avast Antivirus service may be preventing the program from starting correctly. You can restart the service and check if it solves the problem.
- Right-click on Start > Run.
- To type services.msc in the Run dialog box and press Submit.
- Find the service avast Antivirus in the Services window, right-click the service and select Property.
- Check it state of service to see if it says Started and select Stop to interrupt its execution.
- Set the option Startup type su Automatic and confirm the dialog box that appears.
- Select Restart to activate the Avast service.
You can use the Setup Wizard di Avast to repair the Avast installation when Avast does not open or does not work properly.
Avast Repair will fix or replace any program files that may be missing, outdated or damaged and will restore the software configuration.
Note: The Avast repair may keep some custom settings and restore default settings of others.
- Close any apps or antivirus programs running on your PC, then right-click Start > App and features.
- Select your version of Avast from the left panel of the screen App and features, select Uninstall and select again Uninstall to confirm.
- Select Repair in the Avast Setup Wizard.
- Select Yes to confirm the repair. Once the process is complete, select Done or select Restart your computer if requested.
How to completely uninstall Avast on Mac
If the problem persists, use the Useful info Avast Uninstaller to uninstall Avast Antivirus as it completely removes all files associated with Avast from your PC while Windows is running in Safe Mode.
- Close any apps or antivirus running on your PC, then download the Avast Uninstall Utility tool.
- Right-click on the file Avast Uninstall Utility downloaded and select Run as administrator.
- If in the dialog box Avast Antivirus Clear you are prompted to reboot in safe modeselect Yes.
- Select the location of the Avast program files and the edition of the product to uninstall, then select Uninstall.
- When the removal process is complete, select Restart computer to complete the uninstall.
- Now reinstall Avast and try to open the program on your PC again.
You can also uninstall Avast from your PC via the Windows Start menu.
- Right-click on Start > App and features > avast Antivirus > Uninstall > Uninstall when the Avast Antivirus configuration appears.
- Select Yes to confirm your action.
- Once uninstalled, select Restart your computer and reinstall Avast.
Get Avast back to work
Avast ranks first on almost every list of the best antivirus software. Millions of people use Avast antivirus software to block threats as it is easy to use.
We hope this guide helped you reopen Avast Antivirus on your computer. Leave a comment and let us know which solution worked for you.
- How to fix Avast won't open on Windows
- How to fix Avast Web Shield won't turn on
- How to completely uninstall Avast on Mac
- The best alternatives to Avast Antivirus
- How to disable Avast