In this article we will look at how to use FaceTime on Android devices, as well as FaceTime alternatives for Android. With the latest Apple software update, Apple users can invite Android users to join FaceTime calls.
You can use FaceTime on an Android device if an invitation link has been sent to you from an Apple device with iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or macOS 12 Monterey. To sign up for FaceTime for Android, you need to open an invitation link in the Google Chrome mobile browser. Android users can also try FaceTime alternatives like Skye, Messenger or Duo.
Apple's video calling service, FaceTime, which works over Wi-Fi and cellular data, is a reliable way to video chat between iOS users, and if you're an iPhone user, it can seem ubiquitous at times.
Unfortunately, Android users cannot download the FaceTime app or initiate their own FaceTime calls. But, with the release of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, and macOS 12 Monterey, Apple users can send FaceTime invitation links to Android users.
Here's how to send a FaceTime invitation from an Apple device, how to join a FaceTime call from an Android, and some video chat alternatives you can use instead of FaceTime.
How to join a FaceTime call on Android from Google Chrome
Android users can join a FaceTime call from their Google Chrome browser if someone with an Apple device running iOS 15, iPadOS 15, or macOS 12 Monterey has sent them an invitation link.
- Before an Android user can join a FaceTime call, someone with an iPhone, iPad, or Mac must send them an invitation link. To do this, open the FaceTime app on your Apple device and select Create link at the top of the app.
- In the pop-up, the Apple user then needs to select how they want to share the link, via Messages, Mail, Snapchat, AirDrop and more.
- Once the Android user has received the link to face.apple.com, they need to open it in the Google Chrome browser.
- In Google Chrome, the Android user must then enter their name and press Continue.
- Then, the Android user can tap the green button Participate in the mobile pop-up.
- The Apple user will then have to accept their application for membership.
- Once both parties have made the call, the Android user will see the buttons to mute, show / hide the camera, flip the screen, leave the call, do full screen, and more.
How to video call from television: the simplest way
FaceTime alternatives for Android devices
Apple doesn't have a monopoly on video chat, and FaceTime is just one way to do it. If you need video chat that includes both iOS and Android users, there are a number of cross-platform apps you can use. Here are some of the most common and trusted video chat apps you can use:
- Skype. This Microsoft-owned video chat app is used for both business and personal calls. Install Skype on Android from the Google Play Store and Skype on iPhone from the Apple App Store.
- Messenger on Facebook. Since most people are already using Facebook, the Messenger app is a convenient way to video chat. Install Facebook Messenger on Android from the Google Play Store and Facebook Messenger on iPhone from the Apple App Store.
- Google Duo. Google's video chat app is a simpler alternative to the older and more complicated Google Hangouts. Install Google Duo on Android from the Google Play Store and Google Duo on iPhone from the Apple App Store.
- FaceTime Won't Connect on iPhone, 8 Solutions
- FaceTime not working? Let's see what to do
- 7 solutions for when FaceTime calls aren't coming to Mac
- 11 solutions for when FaceTime audio isn't working on iPhone and iPad
- How to do when Picture-in-picture mode doesn't work on iPhone and iPad