Nowadays, it is quite common for people to have all kinds of devices. From laptops to desktops, smartphones to tablets to smartwatches and even smart homes, it's not uncommon for people to have more technology than they can use. So you think that all these devices are all compatible with each other, to please the consumer.
Still, getting all your gadgets to work the way you want can be a much bigger headache than it should be at times. It shouldn't be like that, though.
Here's an example: As a Mac user, how do you extend your desktop or use Airplay via your Google Chromecast device? This article will look at a fairly simple way to get this setup to work right now.
Normally a Mac won't let you cast (mirror) the entire desktop or a Google Chrome browser tab with a Chromecast device, however not natively. You will need another application to make those parts work together.
AirParrot 2 is an application that will allow you to mirror or extend your Mac's desktop to your Chromecast. It will also allow you to use Airplay directly through your Chromecast.
You can take a free AirParrot 2 test for seven days. After that, if you decide to buy the app, it only costs $ 12,99 and is completely wireless, so you don't need any additional equipment to make it work. With its most recent update in September 2017, it is also quite up to date.
AirParrot 2 not only allows you to extend your desktop, but can also share a single app on any device your Chromecast is connected to, where you can listen to audio tracks played on your Mac or stream media files directly from your Mac to your Chromecast. device.
We think it's a worthwhile investment, especially if you want to extend your Mac or AirPlay display directly to your Chromecast device.
What is AirPlay?
AirPlay is an Apple feature that allows users to quickly cast the current screen to another device. This feature is incredibly useful for viewing content on a larger screen.
Not only for viewing content, but also for listening to music and sharing content with others, this feature is native to all Apple devices. You can use Apple's AirPlay with any other compatible device.
Chromecast is similar to AirPlay except it's a Google device. Unfortunately, the two are not overtly compatible with each other. But that's okay, because we can still use AirPlay with a Chromecast device.
AirPlay su Chromecast dal tuo Mac
Why not try AirParrot 2? You can use it for seven days for free, so go to the website, download it and see if you like how it works. It is compatible with Mac OS X 10.7.5 and later. It's not just for Mac, you can get AirParrot 2 on your Windows computer or Chromebook too. We'll talk about that further down, so keep reading.
In addition to Chromecast, it will also work with Apple TV (with the AirParrot remote app, additional $ 7,99 on iOS devices), Smart TVs, other computers in the house, and speakers. Pretty cool, right?
Here's how to run it on your Mac:
- On the AirParrot 2 website, download the Mac application.
- Once the download is complete on your Mac, run AirParrot 2 dmg.
- Then, drag the AirParrot 2 app to the application folder shown on the display. This installs the app in the Applications folder.
- Go to Applications and locate AirParrot 2.
- Finally, turn it on. You will see the little parrot icon in the menu bar at the top of your Mac display.
- When the app is in use, the parrot's face changes color from black to green.
You can now extend your Mac's desktop or use AirPlay with Google Chromecast to further expand the use of your Google Chromecast device than before. And you can do it all for a lot less than buying a brand new Apple TV.
If you are using the free trial version, you will notice an announcement about using the trial version from time to time. It gives you the website address and encourages you to get the full version of AirParrot 2. Other than that, you get all the features of AirParrot 2 with the free trial version.
In terms of out-of-the-box compatibility without having to make a significant investment, we've found the AirParrot 2 to be the best companion to Google Chromecast. Once the trial period is over, this application is definitely worth buying - as far as we're concerned it's child's play.
Windows e Chromecast o AirPlay
For Windows, AirParrot is compatible with Vista, 7, 8.x and 10, but not with RT. To make it work, follow the same basic steps to get the AirParrot 2 application for Windows as you did for Mac.
First, go to the AirParrot 2 website. Once you have landed on the Windows AirParrot 2 download page, at the top right, click on the green "TRY" button. Once downloaded, you can use AirParrot 2 for free for a seven day trial period.
- On the next page, you will click on the “for Windows” version. A drop-down box will appear on the screen. Select 32 or 64 bits, depending on the version of the Windows operating system you are running. The MSI file will then be downloaded to the browser.
- After downloading the AirParrot 2 file, double click on it and accept the EULA. Then, click the Install button.
- Allow the AirParrot app to make changes to your device and click the “Yes” button. From there, it installs like any other program. The installation wizard will run and once completed, simply click on the 'Finish' button.
- The AirParrot 2 application icon should now appear on the Windows desktop. Double click on it to launch the app. Then, click on the “Try AirParrot 2” button.
- You will see the AirParrot 2 user interface appear with a notification from the Windows taskbar area. Click on the face of the green parrot. Your Google Chromecast should now appear in the “A” area. Choose what you want to do in the "From" section above. Then, select your Chromecast name from the list and you're good to go.
The ability to extend the desktop from your Windows computer is still in the works, but will be coming soon. What AirParrot 2 and Windows can currently do is mirror (AirPlay) your display to Chromecast, only share an application via your Chromecast device, play audio via Chromecast, and share files to where your Chromecast is connected.
If you want hands-free control of AirParrot 2 with your Windows computer and Apple TV, you must have an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad with iOS 8 or later.
You will need to purchase and install the AirParrot remote application, which costs $ 7,99. This will allow you to use the remote app to control AirParrot 2 on your computer.
However, you can use Airplay from your Windows computer to your Apple TV just like you would with the Chromecast instructions we provided.
After pairing the AirParrot Remote app with the AirParrot 2 app on your computer, you will have total control of your PC without having to be in front of you.
In the final determination, AirParrot 2 is the perfect companion application to use with your Google Chromecast device, Apple TV, or Mac and Windows computer.
When you want to mirror or extend your desktop, listen to music, show some photos, or let someone else see a file from your PC via Google Chromecast or Apple TV using AirPlay, this allows you to do it without any problems.
You won't need any other tips and tricks - the AirParrot 2 app does the job for you. AirParrot 2 for Google Chromecast, Apple TV, Mac, and Windows is a step forward in making things work together.
Is AirPlay compatible with Chromecast?
Unfortunately not directly. You will need the help of a third party service to cast your Apple device to a Chromecast device.
Should I use AirParrot 2?
Depending on the content you are trying to stream, you can completely bypass AirParrot 2. For example, if you have the ability to use the Google Chrome browser, you can quickly and easily cast the screen to your Chromecast device from your Mac device.
How to Stream Amazon Prime Video to Chromecast
- How to broadcast a Zoom meeting on TV
- How to use Google Chromecast with Android and iOS
- How to mirror iPhone screen to Mac and TV
- How to watch Amazon Prime Video on Apple TV
- How to download Disney Plus on Chromecast