Sharing files on Dropbox is made to be very simple. You can use a link to share your file with others allowing them to edit, comment or simply view the file. No special requests are needed to access the file or add someone's email to the file. But how do you share a file via a link on Dropbox? This article will walk you through the steps required to successfully share a Dropbox file via a link.
How to add Dropbox in Chromebook File Manager
How to share a link from Dropbox on PC
The Dropbox website and desktop software make it easy to send a link for a file or folder. Note that if you share a link with the “view only” permission, people who access the document can't edit it.
Shared links can be customized with professional accounts for Dropbox Professional and Business customers.
If you'd like to share a link using the Dropbox view-only website, the steps are:
- Log in to your account.
- Place the mouse pointer on the file or folder you want to share and select the "Share" icon. It looks like a rectangle with an up arrow.
- Click "Create" if no link has been created. If you have already generated a link, click the "Copy" link.
- Your link is now in the clipboard. You can then share it by copying and pasting it into an email or message.
If you want to do it via the Dropbox desktop client, here's how:
- Launch File Explorer (Windows) or Finder and go to the Dropbox folder.
- To share a file or folder, right-click or command-click.
- Select "Share ..."
- If you haven't already created a link, click the "Create" link. If it generated a link, choose "Copy link" next to "Can view".
- You can copy and paste the link to share it with someone.
However, these steps are for sharing a file in view-only mode. This is the default setting when creating a link. If you want to allow others to edit, you will need to change it in the settings. To do this, follow these steps:
- Sign in to the Dropbox website.
- Move the cursor over the file name and select the "Share" button.
- Go to "Settings".
- Depending on your preferences, click on "Link for editing" or "Link for viewing".
- Click on the "Save" button.
How to fix the “Dropbox No Internet Connection” problem on iOS
How to share a link from Dropbox on iPhone
The mobile app gives you the convenience of accessing your files on the go. It offers all the same features as the desktop version, including link sharing. To share a Dropbox link from an iPhone, follow these steps:
- Launch the Dropbox mobile app.
- Press “…” next to the file or folder to share it.
- Select "Share".
- Choose "Copy Link".
- Copy the link and paste it where you want to share it.
How to share a link from Dropbox on Android
The Dropbox mobile app for Android devices is similar to the iPhone app. Therefore, the steps are also similar. Note that the steps may vary slightly depending on your Android device, but the main idea remains the same. That's how:
- Open the Dropbox mobile application on your Android device.
- To share a file or folder, press the three vertical dots.
- Press "Share".
- Select "Copy Link" to copy it to the clipboard.
- Copy and paste the link to an email or message to share it.
How to share a link from Dropbox on iPad
iPad and iPhone use the same operating system, which means mobile apps are the same. Consequently, the steps to share a Dropbox link on an iPad are similar to sharing on an iPhone.
- Launch the Dropbox app on your iPad.
- To share a file or folder, tap “…” which is right next to it.
- Click "Share".
- Select "Copy link".
- Copy and paste the link to share it.
Alternatives to Dropbox, such as having more GB without spending a euro
How to share a link from Dropbox by email?
You can also share a link to a Dropbox file directly via email. Sharing can be done on both the desktop and mobile version.
To do this on the desktop, follow these steps:
- Log in to the Dropbox website or open the desktop client.
- Place the mouse pointer on the file or folder you want to share and click on the “Share” icon.
- Enter the email address, the name of the person you want to share the file or folder with, then choose someone from the results. You can add an unlimited number of people.
- Choose between “Can edit” and “Can view”.
- Add a message if needed, then check the box to share this message as a comment.
- Share the file or folder by clicking "Share".
Here's how to do it on a mobile app:
- Launch the Dropbox mobile app.
- To share a file or folder, tap the three vertical dots on Android or “…” next to the file or folder.
- Select "Share".
- Choose "Invite".
- Press "Send to" and enter the email address or name of the person you want to share the file or folder with.
- Choose “Can view” or “Can edit” under the recipient list.
- Select "Share".
How to share a link from Dropbox with non-members
You can share files with anyone, including those without a Dropbox account, by sending a link. Links are shareable via email, social media networks, SMS or instant messages, messaging platforms, wherever convenient for you.
Public links are view-only, and by default anyone with the link can see and download files. However, Dropbox Professional and Dropbox Business users can set expiration dates and passwords for the links they share.
If you have a business account and want to add a password to a link, here's how:
- Access the desktop or mobile version of Dropbox.
- Select the "Share" icon.
- If you haven't created a link, click Create, then copy the link.
- Select the gear button in the top corner to open "Settings".
- Press "Link for viewing".
- Choose "Persons with passwords" in addition to "Who has access".
- Create a password.
- Click on "Save".
Teamwork makes the dream work
You can now share Dropbox links to allow others to access your files and folders to view or edit them. This feature offers a greater opportunity for collaboration by allowing many people to edit a document at the same time. Using links makes it easy to add items, make corrections, or track a team project.
Also, if you don't want your links to be accessible for an extended period of time, you can add an expiration date. This makes your files and folders safer as there is only a small window of time to access the files. Combined with the password function, you can make sure that all your files are safe and secure.
Have you ever shared a Dropbox file? What do you think about sharing entire files and folders with others? Let us know in the comments section below!
- How to add Dropbox in Chromebook File Manager
- How to send large files for free
- 11 applications to share files between Android, iOS or PC mobile phones
- How to send a link on Instagram
- How to fix Dropbox "No Internet Connection" on iOS