You can download the Alexa app on your iPhone and use the virtual assistant just like you would with Siri. The Alexa iPhone app can be used with or without an Amazon smart speaker. To set up, download the app and follow the onscreen instructions to teach Alexa your voice. You can pair your iPhone with Amazon devices via Bluetooth using the Amazon Alexa app.
You probably already know that Alexa is a virtual assistant used for Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Studio, and other smart speakers. You may not know that the Alexa app also works on iPhone and can be used even if you don't have an Amazon device.
You can use the Amazon Alexa app to set up an Echo smart speaker and to pair your iPhone with a smart speaker via Bluetooth. Here's everything you need to know.
How to use the Alexa app on iPhone
- Download the Amazon Alexa app from the Apple App Store.
- In the Bluetooth enable pop-up menu, tap OK to allow Alexa to set up or connect with other devices (like your iPhone or Echo speaker).
- Log into your Amazon account.
- Toccata Continue to accept Amazon's terms and conditions.
- To touch Yes o No to configure a device.
- Touch to select who you are from the list of options. Confirm your first and last name, then tap Continue.
- Toccata Allow if you want to allow Alexa to access your contacts (so you can use commands like “call mom”) and allow notifications. To skip this step, tap Later.
- Continue to follow the onscreen instructions to set up Alexa, which includes teaching Alexa your voice. You can skip any step in the setup process by tapping Salta.
- To enable Alexa, say "Alexa" or tap theAlexa blue icon at the top of the screen, then say your request. You can also touch the icon area of keyboard to type your request.
How to use the Alexa speaker to control Fire TV or Fire TV Stick
How to add the Alexa widget to your iPhone home screen
IPhones with iOS 14 and later have a home screen full of widgets, which can be found if you swipe all the way left past all the different screens containing apps. If you know you'll be using Alexa (or any other app) often, the home screen is a good place to put it for easy access.
- On your iPhone, swipe left until you reach the home screen full of widgets.
- Touch and hold your finger on one of the widgets (it doesn't matter which one) until a pop-up menu appears. Touch Change home screen.
- Touch theplus icon + at the top left of the screen, then tap theicon Amazon Alexa. If you can't find it easily by scrolling, tap the search bar to find it.
- Toccata Add widget. Use your finger to reposition the widget as desired, then tap end at the end.
How to connect iPhone to Amazon devices via the Alexa app
You can pair your iPhone with any of Amazon's smart speakers like Echo, Echo Dot, and others via Bluetooth.
- Put your Bluetooth device (Echo, Echo Dot, etc.) into pairing mode.
- Open theApp Alexa and touch devices.
- Toccata Eco e Alexa.
- Select your device from the list of options. Touch Bluetooth devices, Then Pair a new device.
- The next time you want to connect, simply enable Bluetooth on your iPhone and speaker and say “Pair Bluetooth”.
- How to disconnect Spotify from Alexa
- How to connect your Alexa to WiFi, with or without the app
- How to change the name of alexa
- How to change Alexa's voice
- How to control the Nest thermostat via Alexa