Instant messaging has become an important part of our life as we use it to communicate with friends, family, clients and colleagues. One instant messaging platform that has grown in popularity over the past decade is WhatsApp. It owes this rise to its many characteristics, such as vocal notes.
When WhatsApp launched voice notes, users could only record voice clips. However, WhatsApp has released a feature that has allowed users to listen to voice notes at a faster rate over the years. Now, WhatsApp allows users to preview voice notes before sending them in its latest update. This feature eliminates the fear of sending embarrassing messages or having to re-record a voice note. Here's how it works on various devices.
PREVIEW OF WHATSAPP VOICE NOTES ON IPHONE
WhatsApp's Voice Notes Preview feature was released on iPhone devices before being released on all platforms in December 2021. Here's how to access the feature on iPhone:
- Launch WhatsApp from your iPhone's home screen.
- Open an individual chat or group chat in the app.
- Touch and hold the microphone icon next to the chatbox, then swipe it up to activate and block the hands-free recording feature.
- Start speaking to record a new voice note.
- Tap the Stop button once you're done recording.
- Tap the Play icon. This triangular shaped icon appears once the Stop button is pressed.
At this point, you should be able to hear the recording in the same way that the intended recipient will hear it. Note that you can jump to different parts of the message by tapping where you want to hear. You can delete the message after previewing the contents of the voice note or press send.
PREVIEW OF WHATSAPP'S VOICE NOTES ON ANDROID
Previewing a voice note on Android is very similar to what you have on iPhone. We will review it in the following steps:
- Start Whatsapp by tapping the app icon on your Android device.
- Open an existing or new individual chat or group chat.
- Go to the microphone icon next to the chatbox and tap it. Instead of holding it down while recording, you can hold it down and slide it up to lock the feature in place.
- Record your voice note by speaking to your device.
- Tap the Stop button (square button at the bottom right) to stop recording.
- Tap the Play button to hear your voice message.
Here's how to preview a voice note on WhatsApp using an Android device. If you are not comfortable with the message, you can get rid of it by tapping the "trash can" icon at the bottom left of the screen.
PREVIEW OF WHATSAPP VOICE NOTES ON THE DESKTOP
Many people use WhatsApp on their desktops during business hours. This can be done via the web client or the WhatsApp desktop app. The good news is that WhatsApp has made the preview feature available for voice notes on desktops. You can use this feature in almost the same way as on iPhone or Android. The only difference is the layout.
Check the steps below to know how to preview voice notes on WhatsApp via desktop:
- Launch the WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Desktop app on your computer.
- Click on one of the existing chats to open it. Alternatively, you can click the new chat icon to start a new chat.
- Move the mouse pointer over the microphone icon next to the chat box at the bottom right of the screen. Click this icon to start recording.
- Click the Stop button (red button next to the Submit button) to end the recording.
- Click the Play button at the beginning of the recording to start previewing the voice note.
If you are satisfied with the voice note, click "Send". Otherwise, you can delete the message by clicking on the “Trash” icon in the lower left corner of the screen.