When joining a video conference using Zoom, it is sometimes necessary to mute the microphone to cough, eliminate background noise, or just be polite while other people are talking. Here's how to do it.
Mute audio using the Zoom toolbar
To mute the audio during a Zoom meeting, the toolbar must be displayed.
- On a PC or Mac, hover your mouse over the Zoom window and it will open. On an iPhone, iPad, or Android, tap the screen until the toolbar appears.
- Locate the "Mute" button (which looks like a microphone) on the toolbar. On a Mac, PC, web client, or smartphone, the toolbar extends to the bottom of the screen or window. On a tablet, the toolbar appears at the top of the screen. Click or tap the “Deactivate” button.
- The Mute icon will turn into a crossed out microphone and the text will now say "Unmute". The microphone is now off and no one on the call can hear you.
To unmute the microphone, click or tap the Unmute button on the toolbar. After clicking "Unmute", the microphone will be active again and everyone on the call will be able to hear you.
Read also: How to use the whiteboard in Zoom and other tricks
Mute audio using Zoom keyboard shortcuts
You can also quickly mute yourself on a PC or Mac using the Zoom keyboard shortcuts. If you are using a Windows 10 PC, press the Alt + A keys to toggle the sound on and off. If you're using a Mac, you can press Shift + Command + A to toggle the sound on and off.
Learn more about zoom mute
If you are hosting a Zoom meeting filled with interruptions or distracting background noises, you can mute all participants in the call at the same time using the “Mute All” button in the “Attendees” list.
And, if you're not hosting, but are having a hard time hearing the host with audio from everyone else in the conference, you can use these keyboard shortcuts on your PC or Mac to mute everyone but the host:
- Mute / unmute for everyone except host (PC): Alt + M
- Mute for all but host (Mac): Comando + Ctrl + M
- Unmute for all but host (Mac): Command + Ctrl + U
Read on: How to share your screen in a Zoom meeting
- How to turn off the camera during a call with Zoom
- How to mute and unmute the Zoom app on your phone
- How to use Zoom on iPhone
- How to mute everyone on Google Meet
- What to do when the Zoom microphone doesn't work