You can manually find duplicate files on Mac, but it takes time and too much effort on your part. We have a better solution for you. Apple's Macbook range has everything in place, with the exception of the default storage. It's 2021 and the Macbook range is still released with 256GB of internal storage.
That's little by today's standards, and storage runs out quickly if it's not used properly. Users prefer to find and remove duplicate files and clear cache on Mac.
Find duplicate files on Mac
Using the smart folders trick on the Mac or a third party app, you can easily find duplicate files on Mac. Read the article to learn how.
1. Use Smart Folders on Mac
One of the common things about duplicate files is that they usually have a common name, or the same date or common file type. Using Smart Folders on Mac, you can quickly filter such files and folders from the system.
You have to use the Finder menu for this. Follow the steps below to know how.
- Open the menu Finder dal dock del Mac.
- Select a location of your choice to create a temporary Smart Folder. You can create a Smart folder on Desktop, Documents, Downloads or any of the folders of your choice.
- click on Fillet in the menu bar.
- Select New smart folder from the following menu. Unfortunately, there is no keyboard shortcut for Smart Folders on Mac.
- Click the sign + in the upper right corner.
- macOS will ask you to select the category type to sort files and folders on Mac.
For example, if you know the name of the files you are looking for, you can create a smart folder for them. Likewise, you can select Market from the drop-down menu and sort files based on file types like music and video.
Select the duplicate files that Smart Folder has identified based on your input and move them to the trash.
As you can see from the above steps, this trick is very useful when you have an idea of what type of file you are looking for. Furthermore, there is no guarantee that all possible duplicate files will be found on Mac.
Also, this is a tiring process and sometimes you may end up creating dozens of smart folders to remove duplicate files from Mac.
To make your search easier, we have better suggestions for you. Using third party software like CleanMyMac and Duplicate File Finder Remover, you can easily find and remove duplicate files from Mac. Let's talk about them.
2. How to find duplicate files on Mac with Duplicate File Finder Remover
As the name suggests, these are purely aimed at removing duplicate files from the Mac. Plus, the app is available natively from the Mac App Store - you don't need to go through a lengthy installation process.
We like the way the developers have focused on simplicity. Duplicate File Finder Remover can find and remove duplicate files from Mac in just three steps.
It also works with multiple external drives and network folders. This means that you can plug in your SSD or external hard drive and remove the duplicate files from there as well. You can also scan and remove duplicate files from OneDrive and Google Drive cloud storage. Here's how to do it.
- Open the Mac App Store .
- Search Duplicate File Finder Remover and install the app.
- Open the app and select the folder you want to scan. Alternatively, you can drag and drop the folder into the application and start the scan.
- Awards the button Scan .
- The app will scan and show you the final results.
You can remove them or merge folders from the Overview menu.
Download Duplicate File Finder Remover
3. How to find duplicate files on Mac with CleanMyMac X
Unlike Duplicate File Finder Remover, CleanMyMac X is an all-in-one utility tool for Mac. The app doesn't just find and remove duplicate files from Mac. It also helps to remove cache files, temporary data and other irrelevant junk from the system.
It is one of the must-have apps for macOS. Don't take our word for it. Try it and you will be amazed by the capabilities of CleanMyMac X. Please perform the following steps first.
- Download CleanMyMac X using the link. Download CleanMyMac X
- Follow the normal setup process and open the app.
- Select Unwanted system and do a scan down.
Keep in mind that CleanMyMac X will remove all kinds of junk and irrelevant files from your system.
CleanMyMac X is free to try, and the paid version costs $ 29,99 as a one-time payment for the current Mac.
Conclusion: optimize your Mac
We often advise readers to remove unnecessary and duplicate files on Mac. It speeds up the MAC and also frees up precious storage space. We prefer to use a third-party app to find duplicate files on Mac and optimize free space.
However, you can use the Mac Smart folder if you know exactly what you are looking for on the Mac.
- How to delete duplicate files on your Android phone
- How to remove duplicate contacts on your Android phone or iPhone
- How to change SIM without losing contacts
- How to Backup Contacts to Any Android Phone
- How to free up space on Android