Controlling Amazon Echo TV is just a voice command. Alexa voice assistant via Echo (including Echo Dot, Show and Tap) or similar smart speakers (Sonos One, Phorus PS10) can work with your TV in several ways. This article covers six key ways to use Alexa with your TV:
- Using a Fire TV device
- Using a TV that works with Alexa (LG, Sony and Vizio)
- Using Alexa with the Logitech Harmony remote control system
- Using Roku (yes, you can use Alexa with Roku!)
- Use of the URC customized remote control system
- Using Dish or DirecTV
How to fix common Alexa / Amazon Echo problems
Use Alexa with Fire TV devices
The easiest way to use Alexa with your TV is via an Amazon Fire TV plug-in stick or Fire TV 4K media streamer, or by using a Smart TV Fire Edition (a TV with built-in Fire TV functionality).
If you are using an external Fire TV device with your TV (HDMI connection required), follow the required setup procedure. You can then speak voice commands using Alexa by pressing the microphone button on the remote.
If you have a Fire Edition TV, you can use the supplied Alexa Voice remote in the same way.
However, if you have an Amazon Echo or Alexa-enabled smart speaker similar to your home, you can connect it to a Fire TV or Fire Edition TV streamer and use Fire TV features using free hand voice commands instead of having to press a microphone button. first on a remote control.
To connect an Alexa Echo-type device to your Fire TV or Fire Edition TV, follow these steps using the Alexa app installed on your smartphone when you first set up your Echo or similar device:
- Open the Alexa app and tap theMenu icon (three white lines in the upper left corner - just left to the word Home.
- Toccata Music, videos and books.
- Toccata Fire TV.
- Follow the additional installation instructions.
- Toccata Link devices : make sure it's confirmed.
Once the connection is confirmed, you can use Echo to control Fire TV functions and access to content, which can be viewed on the TV.
How to connect Spotify with Amazon Echo
If your TV has the HDMI-CEC feature, you can also use Alexa to send a voice command to a plug-in Fire TV streamer which will switch the TV to the HDMI input the Fire TV is connected to.
Also, HDMI-CEC allows Alexa to tell the Fire TV to turn the TV on or off.
When an Amazon Fire Edition TV is off or in standby mode, it cannot receive any commands from Alexa unless you have enabled the “Turn TV on with Alexa” setting. This setting is automatically enabled after the TV receives the first command from Alexa.
For Fire Edition TVs, you can also use Alexa to access some of the TV's setting options. This means you can use an Echo-type device to replace the Alexa-enabled TV remote for many TV functions.
How to listen to iTunes with Amazon Echo
Use a TV that "works with Alexa"
Linking Alexa and FireTV devices is one way to use voice commands to stream video and control your TV, but there are a number of TVs that are not FireTVs but can "work with Alexa" via an Echo-type device.
The “Works with Alexa” feature is currently available on select TV models from LG (2018), Sony (2016, 2017, 2018) and Vizio (2017 and 2018), and will be available on Hisense's upcoming 2018 select models.
Link Alexa to LG TVs:
- Start the Set-Up TV per l’app Amazon Alexa from the main screen of your LG TV running webOS 4.0 TV or later).
- Follow the directions and log into your LG account (or create one) and select your TV name.
- Go to the furniture installation guide page, and go to the Alexa App on your smartphone to allow LG SmartThinQ Alexa skill and link accounts.
- Complete any additional installation instructions required by your TV.
Link Alexa to Sony TVs:
- apri TV control setting with the Amazon Alexa app from the TV Home screen.
- Select yours Google account (or create your own) and give your TV a name.
- Follow the instructions and find and enable theapp Sony TV Alexa on your smartphone and follow the additional instructions to connect your TV and Echo-type devices.
Link Alexa to Vizio TV:
- Start it Vizio TV SmartCast home screen .
- Using the TV remote control, press up and click on the tab Extras in the menu bar.
- Select Voice settings, Then Pair screen.
- Using the GO smartphone for www.dms.vizio.com/alexa e enter the PIN shown on the TV screen.
- When asked, come back all’app Alexa on your phone to enable vocal skills, link accounts and devices Alexa .
How to pair Echo Dot with Firestick
Usa Alexa con Logitech Harmony Remote Control System
Another way you can use Alexa with your TV is through a Logitech Harmony Elite, Ultimate, Ultimate Home, Harmony Hub, Harmony Pro remote control system.
Linking Alexa with a compatible Harmony system allows remote control and content access functions for your TV using Alexa voice control via the Alexa app or Amazon Echo devices.
Here are the initial steps for connecting Alexa to a compatible Harmony Remote system.
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone.
- Tap the icon Menu.
- Go up Ability and surrounds Harmony.
- Touch theicon blu Harmony to enable the Alexa / Harmony skill.
- Go to the page Select activity to further customize which devices and commands you want to associate with Alexa with the Harmony remote control system.
- Next, you will be taken to a screen that says Now For The Fun Part: At the bottom of the screen, click Colleague account to complete the setup.
For a review of linking steps, as well as how to further customize Alexa / Harmony linking features, including sample commands and voice control shortcuts, check out the Logitech Harmony Experience with Alexa page.
Another way Alexa can interact with Harmony remotes is through the IFTTT app. To use IFTTT, install the app on your smartphone, then do the following:
- Open theapp IFTTT .
- Tap the page icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- Tap the section Alexa. If Alexa doesn't appear on the page, tap Search and type it. When you find it, tap it and follow the setup instructions.
- After adding Alexa to the list of Skills , tap it, scroll down and activate the TV on / off applets (follow the additional instructions).
The above steps will link the “Alexa, turn on / off (or other phrase) TV” commands from the applet on your smartphone or Echo device to your compatible Harmony remote control system.
How to replace the Google Assistant with Alexa or Cortana on Android
How to Link Alexa to Roku - Use Alexa with Roku via Quick Remote
If you have a Roku TV or Roku media streamer connected to your TV, you can use Alexa to control what you see on your TV using the Remote Quick app for iOS or Android.
Download and install the Quick Remote app on your smartphone. After installing the app, follow the instructions on the Quick Remote app download page to connect Quick Remote to your Roku and Alexa device.
Once you've connected Quick Remote with your Roku device and Alexa, you can use voice commands to tell Quick Remote to navigate the Roku menu and select any app to get started.
The Quick Remote app works the same on both plug-in Roku devices and Roku TVs (TVs with built-in Roku features).
The Quick Remote can be used with the Alexa app or an Echo-type device. This means that if you don't have an Echo device, you can control your Roku device or Roku TV using the Alexa app on your smartphone.
If you're not near your Echo device, you also have the option to use the Quick Remote app keyboard from your smartphone.
Quick remote download and installation is free, but you're limited to 50 free commands per month. If you want to use more than 50 commands per month, you need to subscribe to the Remote Remote Full Quick Pass for $ 0,99 per month or $ 9,99 per year.
Instead of going through the Quick Remote app, Roku TVs, sticks and boxes can also be controlled directly from Alexa and Amazon Echo products via the Roku Alexa Skill for many commands (there are some limitations).
Use Alexa with the URC custom remote control system
For custom installed home theater systems that include a TV, one solution is to link Alexa to a Total Control 2.0 URC (Universal Remote) system.
To use an Amazon Echo device with your TV and URC Total Control 2.0 system, you need an installer to set up the connection. The installer also develops the entire command infrastructure required for operation and access to content on the TV.
You have the option to allow the installer to create the necessary voice commands, or you can tell him which commands you want to use.
For example, you can choose something simple, like "Turn on the TV" or something more fun like "OK, it's time for family movie night!" The installer then makes the phrases work with the Alexa voice assistant platform.
Using the link between Alexa and the URC Total Control System, the installer can combine one or more activities with a specific phrase. “OK, it's time for family movie night” can be used to turn on the TV, dim the lights, switch to a channel, turn on the home theater sound system, etc.
If you have a custom-installed TV / home theater system, or just many devices you want or want to use with your TV, connecting Alexa via an Echo-type device to the URC Total Control 2.0 system is an option to consider. .
Use Alexa with Dish or DirecTV satellite dishes
Alexa can also work with your TV via connection via Dish Satellite Boxes (Hopper, Joey, Wally). You can use Alexa, via your Echo device, to tell your Dish Satellite dish which live recorded content or Dish DVR you want to watch on your TV.
To connect a Dish satellite dish with Alexa, start with these steps:
- Open the Alexa app on your smartphone and select Music, videos and books .
- Scroll through the list of skills until you find Dish TV .
- Activate an Internet connection per Dish Hopper o Wally.
- Go up Menu , then up Settings , Amazon Alexa , Get code .
- Enter the code that it is provided to you in the Alexa app.
- Select Attiva .
- When the confirmation message appears, select Done .
To further connect Alexa, an Echo device (Echo, Dot, Tap) and a Dish satellite dish perform the following additional settings:
- Nell’app per smartphone Alexa, Open devices and select Hopper, Wally or Joey.
- Awards Continue
- Then, select the Echo device to connect to the satellite box.
- Hit Link Device .
- If you have more than one box, repeat the previous steps for each box.
Examples of commands you can use to control your Dish device using the Alexa app or an Echo device include:
- Alexa, change the channel to CBS.
- Alexa, search for action movies.
- Alexa, tune to channel 110
- Alexa, play The Orville
- Alexa, vai al National Geographic Channel
- Alexa, show me the Jennifer Lawrence movies
- Alexa, skip ahead
- Alexa, rewind 15 seconds
- Alexa, pause
- Alexa, resume
For DirecTV subscribers: An Alexa skill is also available for controlling some selected DirecTV set-top boxes: Genie (HR44, HR54) and Genie Mini (C31, C41, C41W, C51, C61, C61K, C61W).
Also, if Alexa is linked to the Logitech Harmony or URC remote control system options discussed earlier, you can ask Harmony to use compatible DirecTV products through its control platform.
Some users have actually created their own custom Alexa Skill to control other DirecTV boxes directly via an Echo device.
Alexa can serve as a central voice control hub for home entertainment and smart home devices, and Alexa voice assistant compatibility is being incorporated into a growing number of products.
There are several ways to “link” Alexa to your TV to make it easier for you to access content and control. Also, for those listed and discussed above, there are some additional Alexa remote control capabilities available including Smart TV Remote, Smart TV Remote Pro, and Anymote.
If you have an Echo or other branded device with Alexa Voice Assistant built in, try connecting to your TV using one or more of the options above and see how it works for you.
What is Alexa?
- How to control the Nest thermostat via Alexa
- How to connect Alexa to lights and turn them on and off with a single command
- How to disconnect Spotify from Alexa
- How to change Alexa's voice
- How to remove smart devices from Alexa