Stop adjusting YouTube settings for each video. Here's how to permanently set video quality on desktop and mobile.
When you watch a video on YouTube, the quality of the video is automatically determined by your network connection. But did you know that you can change the YouTube video quality to look better or to save the data?
Instead of changing this setting for each video, we'll show you how to permanently set YouTube video quality for both mobile and desktop.
In April 2021, YouTube changed the way its video quality settings work on Android and iOS. You can now set a default video quality when your device is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular network.
There are four different options for video quality:
- Car , which changes the video quality based on current network conditions, screen size, and the quality of the original video.
- Superior image quality , which displays videos with a resolution of 720p or higher and uses more data.
- Data saving , which shows you lower video quality, but is useful if you want to save the data on.
- Advanced , which allows you to select a specific video quality. It is the only option that allows you to do this.
If you have noticed that the video quality is not constant from one video to another, it means that you are currently using the Auto option.
Note that you will never be able to view a video with a higher resolution than it was uploaded with. For example, if a video was uploaded in 480p, it cannot be viewed in 720p or 1080p.
It's inconvenient to change these quality settings for each video, so now we're going to show you how to set the quality permanently on mobile and desktop.
On mobile devices, you can select a permanent video quality option on YouTube. That's how:
- Launch the YouTube app and tap on display photo of the Your account top right.
- Select Settings .
- Toccata Video quality preferences .
- In Video quality over mobile networks / Wi-Fi , select Superior image quality o Data saving .
One thing you will notice is that it is not possible to select a specific video resolution. To do this, you need to select the option Advanced , which is only available during video playback.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Play any video on the YouTube mobile app.
- Tap anywhere in the video player window.
- Touch the three points top right.
- Select Quality and touch Advanced dal pop-up.
- Tap a specific video quality. Your video will start playing with the selected video quality.
Note that the options available will depend on the original quality of the uploaded video. Also, this setting is not permanent.
- Go to in the Chrome Web Store.
- Click on Add to Chrome and click Add extension dal popup.
- Go to YouTube via your browser.
- Click Auto Quality icon for YouTube in the browser extension menu.
- Select the drop-down menu next to Default quality and choose the quality you prefer for YouTube videos.
- Do click su Save to finish. Update YouTube to make your preferred quality settings take effect.
- Go to the Firefox extension.
- Toccata Add to Firefox, then select Add from the popup. To check Leave this extension to run Windows privately if you want, then click OK .
- Go to YouTube and play any video.
- Click YouTube high definition icon top right.
- Use the drop-down menu Video quality and select your preferred video quality. The extension will instantly load the quality you prefer.