How to change the phone number on Whatsapp. Your Whatsapp account is associated with a phone number.
You can change the Whatsapp phone number quite easily if you need it. There is a built-in option that allows you to do this in just a few taps.
How to change the phone number on Whatsapp
- Open Whatsapp and go to the tab Settings.
- Tap Accounts and, on the screen Account, touch Change number.
- Tap Next on the screen Change number.
- Enter your current phone number, i.e. the one currently associated with your Whatsapp account in the field "Old phone number".
- Then, enter the new number you want to pass into the field 'New phone number'.
- Tap Next, then confirm that you want to make the change.
When you change your number, you have the option to notify your contacts of the number change. Your groups get an alert regardless of what. If you wish, you can choose which of your contacts are informed about your new phone number.
Your account will switch from the current phone number to the new one. You will need to verify that you have the new phone number and once done, the old SIM and phone number will no longer work with Whatsapp.
If you change your phone at the same time you change your phone number, the chats won't automatically sync to the new phone just because you transferred the number.
The Whatsapp account information will move from the old phone number to the new one, but this does not include the chat history.
Contact information will be updated for your friends; they won't suddenly start receiving your messages from an unknown / new number.
If you don't see the option to tell your contacts about the phone number change, that's because this is a new feature. To have it, you need to be on the latest version of the app. The feature is available for Android and iOS users and of course there is an update for both platforms.
Your contacts don't need to be running the latest version of the app to receive notifications about changing your phone number.