We show you how to share Apple Watch faces with others, as well as the best places to find new watch faces to download. The Apple Watch is an excellent smartwatch and has improved a lot with the updates it has received over the years. Let's see where to find, how to share and download new Apple Watch faces.
Share watch faces from Apple Watch
The easiest way to send your custom watch faces to friends and family is right from the watch:
- From your Apple Watch, press and hold on the watch until the watch face selector appears.
- Tap the icon Share next to the button Modification.
- Enter the name of the contact you want to send the watch face to.
- Toccata Send.
Share watch faces from iPhone
As you'd expect, Apple also lets you share watch faces from the Watch app on iPhone. That's how:
- Open the app Watch on your iPhone.
- Select the watch face you want to share in My Faces.
- Tap the icon Share in the upper right corner.
- Choose where you want to send the watch face.
Share the watch face file with anyone
The first two methods of sharing watch faces are done natively, but what if you want to share them on social media? It is possible to do this, but you have to get the file.Watchface from your iPhone before you can send it. Here's how to do it:
- Open the app Watch on your iPhone, then select the watch face you want to share.
- Tap the button Share.
- Select Save to file in the Share menu.
- Select a location to save the .watchface file.
- Toccata Save.
Now you will need to open the app Fillet to continue. From there:
- Touch and hold the file.Watchface you just saved, then tap Share.
- Toccata Add people.
- Toccata Share files on iCloud.
- Select an app you want to use to share the watch face.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to share using the selected app.
- Exit the Files app.
This method also works for backing up watch faces you find and download over time. Just create a folder in iCloud via the Files app, then share the .watchface files in that folder.
Having this backup folder makes it easy to re-download your favorite watch faces if something happens to your iPhone or Apple Watch.
How to download an Apple Watch watch face
If you come across a watch face link (file.watchface) via social media or from your friends, you can download it directly to your iPhone by following these steps:
- On the iPhone paired with your Apple Watch, tap the shared watch face link.
- Toccata Allow, confirming that you want to download the watch face.
- After opening the Clock app, tap Add to My Faces.
What happens with the complications of the uninstalled watch?
Chances are you'll end up running into various watch faces that have complications for apps you don't use. When you download a watch face that includes a complication you haven't installed, you're prompted to purchase or download that app.
However, there is also a button at the bottom that allows you to continue without this app.
It is important to note that if you skip installing the apps, those parts of the watch face will be blank. You can of course add your complications in their place. But if you want a full experience, it's best to download and install apps from the App Store for that watch face.
Where to find new faces for Apple Watch
Now that Apple has opened the doors (to some extent) on the watch faces, there are a few different places you can find and download new watch faces.
One of the first websites on the scene after the launch of watchOS 7 was Buddywatch. This started out as a website for browsing watch faces, but now offers an app that makes it easy to find new watch faces from anywhere. Here's how to download new watch faces using it:
- Open the Buddywatch app on your iPhone.
- Find the watch face you want to download.
- Tap the button Download beneath.
- When the Clock app opens, tap Add to My Faces.
Download: Buddywatch (free, in-app purchases available)
Around the same time buddywatch emerged, Watchfacely appeared to provide another avenue for watch owners to find new dials. The app is elegant and easy to use, while the accompanying website shows the watch faces a little differently. However, you can download the options from the app or website:
- Open the Watchfacely app on your iPhone.
- Find and tap the watch face you want to download.
- Tap the button Add Apple Watch face down.
- When the Clock app opens, tap Add to My Faces.
Download: Watchfacely (gratuito)
This next option should be recognizable if you've ever ventured into the world of Android smartwatches. Since 2014, Facer has been arguably the best service for finding new watch faces for Google's Wear OS.
With the release of watchOS 7, the company moved to the App Store, providing a marketplace to download new watch faces for your Apple Watch. Here's how it works:
- Open the Facer app on your iPhone.
- Toccata Apple Watch at the top of the list.
- Find and select a watch face to download.
- Touch theblue icon next to the dial.
- Confirm that you want to add the watch face.
- Toccata Add to My Faces.
Download: Facer (free in-app purchases available)
How to download music on Apple Watch
True watch face customization isn't here yet
Now you know how to find and share tons of great Apple Watch faces. However, we will still have to hope that third-party watch faces become available. While it's great that you can rely on complications for your current watch face needs, Apple hasn't yet allowed the developers to step outside the company's parameters.
There are many different reasons this has yet to happen, including potential deterioration in battery life and copyright issues. But until that happens, it's great that you can now download, share, and (somehow) create custom watch faces.
- How to update your Apple Watch
- How to find your Apple Watch
- Discover Apple's latest wearable, the Apple Watch Series 5
- Is your Apple Watch slowing down? Here are 6 tips to fix it
- How to pair Bluetooth headphones to your Apple Watch