Most PS4 games will work on a PS5 console. You can play PlayStation 4 games on PlayStation 5. This is because PlayStation 5 is backward compatible with PlayStation 4. Both physical and virtual PS4 games can be played or transferred to a PS5.
Owners of the new PlayStation 5 will be happy to know that it is backwards compatible with PlayStation 4. This means that if you own both consoles, you can play your favorite PS4 games on PS5. While most of the 4.000+ PS4 games are playable on PS5, there are a few exceptions (which are detailed here). These include Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One, We Sing and Just Deal With It!
Some PS4 games will perform even better, with a higher or smoother frame rate, thanks to PS5's Game Boost. The downside is that while most PS4 games can be played on PS5, some features may not be available. Some PS4 games may even exhibit errors or unexpected behavior when played on PS5.
Here's what you need to know about PS5 backward compatibility and how to play PlayStation 4 games on PlayStation 5.
How to play PlayStation 4 games on PlayStation 5
Since the PS5 is backward compatible with the PS4, PS4 games can be played on the new console. To play a physical PS4 game disc on a PS5, simply insert the PS4 game disc into the PS5 console. You may be prompted to download an update. Then, select your gaming hub from your home page Toys.
How to play digitally purchased PS4 games on PS5
The PS5's backward compatibility extends to digital games as well. To play PS4 games that you have purchased from PlayStation Store on one PS5, make sure you are using the same account on both consoles. This way, you will have access to your PS4 purchases on your PS5. You can also play PlayStation Plus games with an active subscription.
You can transfer digital games and game data from a PS4 to a PS5 via a WiFi data transfer. Alternatively, you can access PS4 games on PS5 using a compatible USB storage drive.
To install a PS4 digital game on a PS5 console:
- Select the library of the games from home page of games.
- Choose the game you want to play. If it hasn't already been downloaded, select Download.
How to transfer saved game data from PS4 to PS5
- Turn on your PS4 and PS5. Make sure they are connected to the same WiFi network.
- On the PS5, go up Settings.
- On the Settings page, select System.
- Then click Software di system.
- Scegliere Data transfer, Then Continue. Select your PS4.
- When you see the message Prepare for data transfer on your PS5, press the PS4 power button until you hear a beep.
- On the PS5, select the games and game data you want to transfer. Select Start transfer.
How to connect AirPods to PS5
PlayStation VR compatibility
The PS5 is also backward compatible with PlayStation VR. This means that if you already own a headset, you can connect it to the new console and enjoy a virtual reality experience.
You will also be able to play physical and digital PSVR games on PS5. To do this, you will need a free PlayStation Camera adapter to connect the PS4 camera to the PS5, as it is not compatible with the new HD camera.
- How to download free PS4 games
- Sony announces the end of its PlayStation Vita console
- How to cancel your PlayStation Now membership
- How to cancel your PlayStation Plus membership
- How to buy games on PlayStation Store