Setting the right country in the Play Store is very important as it determines the content you see in the Store. Some apps, games, and other Play Store data are limited to certain countries only. In such cases, users face problems where they cannot view some content if their Play Store country is different from their current country. Now, when they try to change the Play Store country, they are unable to. If you are facing the same problem, this post will help you to change the country of the Play Store on your Android phone.
When you can't change your country or region in the Play Store, it can be quite heartbreaking. If that happens, you won't be able to use the current country's currency and lose apps. Fortunately, you don't need to continue using the Play Store from a different country profile. You can switch to a new country by following the solutions mentioned below. Let's see the various solutions to solve when you are unable to change the country in Google Play Store.
- Some solutions for when the Google Play Store crashes
1. Check the limitations
Google's official support page mentions various restrictions regarding Google Play's country change. I am:
- Starting from the beginning. If you have changed your country in the last 12 months, you will not be able to change your country again. This is because you can only change the country of the Play Store once a year. And the year starts from the day you changed the country. You will have to wait for the remaining months before trying to change the country again.
- Secondly, you must be in a new country.
- Finally, if you are part of a Google Play Family Library, this may also interfere with changing the Play Store country. Basically, all members of the Google Play family should be in the same country. This limitation should not affect you if you are the family manager, as others must be in the same country as you. However, if you're another member of the Google Play Family Library, Google Play's country settings will also impact you. You must exit the Family Library to change country.
2. Clear the cache and data of the Google Play Store
Play Store will automatically display a notification when you move to a new country. If that doesn't happen, clear the cache and clear the data. This will not uninstall your apps or associated data. It will only restore the Play Store default settings.
Follow these steps to clear the cache and storage of the Play Store.
Step 1: open Settings and go to Apps.
Step 2: in All apps, tap Google Play Store.
Step 3: tap Storage followed by Clear cache. Then tap Clear Memory / Data.
Step 4: restart your phone. Now try to change the country.
3. Change the country of Google Play
You can also manually change the country in the Play Store. Let's try the normal method to change the country of the Play Store.
Step 1: open the Play Store on your Android phone or tablet.
Step 2: tap the three-bar icon at the top and select Accounts.
3 pass- In the Preferences tab, you will see the Country and Profiles section. If you are in a new country, you will see the text Switch to Play Store with various payment methods available, such as debit card, credit card, PayPal, etc. Tap the payment method you want to use. It is mandatory to add the payment details for the new country. Enter the relevant details.
Step 4: a confirmation pop-up will appear. Tap Continue to confirm the changes.
4. Update the Play Store
If the above two methods fail, try manually updating the Play Store. For this, launch the Play Store on your phone. Open the sidebar from the three-bar icon and select Settings. Tap the Play Store version. This will force the Play Store to update itself if available.
5. Troubleshoot existing payment profiles
The problem mainly occurs when users do not see the new country and payment options in method 3. In such cases, they will need to use the help of Google's payment profiles. Basically, you will need to switch between existing payment profiles or close existing payment profiles and create a new profile for the new country. Make sure you also add a payment method from the new country.
Here's how to troubleshoot payment profile issues.
Check your current payment profile
Step 1: open pay.google.com from a browser on your mobile or PC and log in with a Google account if you are not logged in automatically.
Suggestion: you can access pay.google.com from the Play Store sidebar> Payment methods> Other payment settings.
Step 2: you will reach the Google payments center screen. If you're coming from a PC, tap Settings at the top.
On mobile, tap the three-bar icon at the top of the webpage and select Settings from the sidebar.
Step 3: scroll down in Settings to the Payments profile section. You will see the name of the country that the Play Store is currently using. This should confirm that Google's payment profile is responsible for the wrong Play Store country. Now you will need to switch to a different profile or create a new profile.
Switch to a different payment profile
In case multiple profiles are already added to your account, you will see the “Payment profile for Google Play” section at the top. Tap your name below and all active payment profiles will open.
If a profile has already been added for your current country, select it to access it. However, make sure that Individual Profile for Play is displayed. In case it says Individual Profile by Domain or something else, it will not be used for Google Play. You will need to create a new profile, as shown below.
After switching profiles, open the Play Store and check if the country has been changed. If the country has not changed, create a new profile after deleting all existing profiles.
Create a new payment profile
To create a payment profile for your country, open pay.google.com. Go to settings. Now click / tap the Edit icon next to Country / Region under Payments Profile. Click Create New Profile.
Follow the onscreen instructions to create a profile. You will be asked to select your country and add your address. Finally, you will be notified that a new payment profile has been added.
Now open pay.google.com again and go to Settings. Here you will see the new profile. Make sure you switch to the new profile. We're not done yet. You will need to add a payment method for this new profile to use it in Google Play.
Add (or remove) payment method
First, switch to the new country profile from the pay.google.com Settings. Then go to Payment Methods. You'll find it high up on PC. On mobile, you can access it from the left sidebar.
Remove all existing payment methods by clicking / tapping Remove. Then scroll down and tap / click Add Payment Method. Enter your payment details using the methods available for the new country.
With the new payment profile selected and also the payment method active, open the Play Store. Go to Accounts from the left sidebar. Hopefully, you will see the new country in Countries and Profiles.
If you still don't see it, force quit Play Store app or clear Play Store cache and data as shown below. If the new country still does not appear, you will need to delete all existing payment profiles, as shown below.
Delete payment profile
To delete your existing payment profile, switch to it as shown above. With the profile selected, scroll down on the Settings page and you'll see the Close Payments Profile option. Click on it. A confirmation message will appear. Confirm the deletion of the profile.
Repeat the same for all existing (and old) payment profiles. Make sure you delete the associated payment methods, as shown above.
Once all profiles are deleted, start over by creating a new profile with new payment details. This will also be reflected in the Play Store.
- How to install apps on Android without the Google Play Store
Things to remember
- Make sure you are in the correct country profile before adding a payment method.
- Clear the cache and data of the Play Store or force shutdown the app after trying each method.
- Make sure Google has removed all your existing profiles before adding a new one. I had to delete the country profile twice to get it to work.
- 9 solutions for when the Google Play Store doesn't automatically update apps
- How to update apps on Android
- How to change the name of your Android device
- How to install incompatible apps on your smartphone
- Unable to download apps on your Android smartphone? Here's how to solve