Whenever you search for something on the internet, Google Search is usually the first option you choose. However, if it's a specific place you once looked for directions to, Google Maps search history can help. Here's how to view Google Maps search history on desktop and mobile.
How to set or change your address on Google Maps
How to view Google Maps search history online
Google Maps remembers all the places you've been to and all the places you've searched for. You can review your Google Maps search history, find specific areas or permanently delete them.
Before opening Google Maps on your computer, make sure you are logged into your Google account, as all data is associated with the specific account you use.
To view your Google Maps search history on your desktop, follow the steps below. The instructions are the same for Windows and Mac users. You can use any browser of your choice.
- Open Google Maps in your browser.
- apri Menu.
- Scroll down and select Activity on Maps.
- On the page Activities on Maps, you will find the Google Maps search history. You can scroll down to review it, delete all or part of it manually and use the field Search for your business to locate a specific point in your search history.
- Right below the search bar, you'll find a search filter that allows you to Filter by date le your activities on the map. You can set the filter to show your searches from Today, Yesterday, Last seven days, Last 30 days, Always or select a custom period. For example, to delete all Google Maps searches, select Delete > always.
- To view your entire location history, choose Package view o Element view from the left sidebar. Bundle View groups your searches by date and Item View shows them one by one in a row.
- After viewing your location history, return to the top of the Activity on Maps page. You will find two options that you can enable or disable to manage how Google Maps records and stores your data.
- Saving the activity : it is also called Web and app activity and you should keep it active. Web & App Activity collects your previous searches on Google Maps across different platforms (on your phone, desktop, etc.).
- Automatic elimination: you can selectively automatically delete Maps activity to clear previous Google Maps searches older than three months, 18 months, or 36 months.
If you want to access your Google Maps search history, select Do not delete automatically.
How to use Apple Maps on Android and Windows PC
How to view Google Maps search history on mobile
When you're on the go, it's the Google Maps app on Android or iOS that stores all your searches. For that search history, log into your Google account on your phone and follow the steps below. The instructions are the same for both iOS and Android.
- Open the Google Maps app on your smartphone.
- Tap your profile picture in the top right corner of the screen to open the Menu.
- From the menu, select Settings.
- Scroll down and select Map history.
You will arrive at the Maps activity page. The menu items are all the same both in the app and in the web version of Google Maps.
You can scroll down to browse your entire search history, use a filter to view search entries for a specific time, or use the search bar Search for your business to search for a particular place in the Google Maps search history. All items are automatically displayed in Bundle View on the phone.
To delete your previous searches using the Google Maps app on your mobile, select Menu > Delete o Menu > Delete automatically.
There is an option to delete your previous Google Maps searches by the last hour, last day, and an option to set a custom time. You can also manually remove search entries from the list one by one.
14 solutions for when Google Maps only works over WiFi on Android and iPhone
How to use history to manage Google Maps search history
Google Maps gives you one more way to view your entire location history and view all the places you've searched for on a single map. There chronology gives you an estimate of the places you've been and all the routes you've taken based on your Google Maps search history.
You can use Timeline to review your Location History privately on mobile and desktop devices, edit it, and pause the Location History recording and re-enable it.
- To access your Timeline, open Google Maps on your computer or the Google Maps app on your smartphone.
- Go to Menu and select A your history.
- Select Manage Location History.
- The History shows the Activity Control page where you can turn Location History on and off, set the elimination automatic to automatically delete part or all of your Location History e Manage activities to review and edit past activities.
Google Maps vs Waze which one to choose
Keep your Google Maps search history or delete it
The ability to search all previous searches on Google Maps is handy, but the thought that Google collects that information is also a privacy concern. The choice is yours whether to allow Google Maps to spy on your business or automatically delete it and avoid leaving a trace.
You can also go a step further and clear all of your Google account data to clear the records that Google holds about you.
Have you already consulted your Google Maps search history? What is your opinion of Google collecting data on its users? Share your thoughts with us in the comments section below.
- How to view and manage location history in Google Maps
- Google Maps is already testing incognito mode on Android
- How to add a GPX file to Google Maps
- How to clear YouTube history on PC
- How to delete Instagram history