If you need to export an entire conversation from a Whatsapp chat to your computer as a text file that you can read or print, here's what you need to do.
Export a Whatsapp chat to your computer
- Open the chat you are interested in exporting to your smartphone's Whatsapp.
- Click on the three dots at the top right and select Other.
- Now here select Export Chat.
- You will be asked if you want to include media or not.
- To export an entire chat you will have to do without media and then select “Without media” if it is very long. Why this? If you include media the chat will be exported for approximately the last 60.000 to 70.000 characters you typed and any media is contained up to that point.
- Once done, select where to export the chat, we recommend that you use Google Drive so that you can easily recover the text file on your computer. Or on iCloud if you use iPhone. If the chat is short or contains no media you can also use your email and auto-send it.
- Saved on Google Drive to import it to your computer, go to and log in with your Google account. Or on your Apple iCloud if you are using an iPhone. If you sent it to yourself via your email, download the attachment.
- Here you will find the exported Whatsapp chat text file. Now you can open it directly by clicking on it or download it from your computer and open it as any Notepad text file on PC or TextEdit on macOS.
- Done, you now have an entire Whatsapp chat exported to your computer in a text file that you can also print if you want.
As you can see exporting a Whatsapp chat is simple, perhaps you did not know that if you agree to insert media files the chat was exported for about the last 60.000 to 70.000 characters you wrote and any support is contained up to that point.