WhatsApp offers an option to change the photo upload quality in the app. Here's how to change the setting on your phone.
WHAT IS WHATSAPP PHOTO UPLOAD QUALITY
Whenever you send a photo to someone on WhatsApp, some compression occurs. You can estimate the compression level by choosing the desired photo upload quality.
If you have a good internet connection, you can choose to always send high quality images. However, if you are using mobile data, you may want to reduce the quality of the photos to save bandwidth and send the images faster.
This option to set the default photo quality on WhatsApp is present in both the Android and iOS version of the app.
HOW TO CHANGE THE UPLOAD QUALITY OF WHATSAPP PHOTOS ON ANDROID
If you have an Android smartphone, here's how you can change the quality of uploading photos to WhatsApp.
- Open WhatsApp on your Android smartphone. Tap the three-dot menu in the top right corner of the app.
- Select Settings.
- Now tap on Storage and Data.
- The last section on the screen is "Media Upload Quality". The photo upload quality is set to Auto (recommended) by default.
- Tap Photo Upload Quality and choose the option you're interested in. if you always want to send high quality photos, select Best quality. If you have limited connectivity or a metered connection, select Data saver.
- Tap OK.
If you want your phone to automatically decide the quality of the photos to send based on your internet connectivity, you can leave the setting on Auto. Note that this still doesn't guarantee that WhatsApp will share you without losing quality. To send a full resolution image, you can attach it as a document on Android.
HOW TO CHANGE THE UPLOAD QUALITY OF WHATSAPP PHOTOS ON IPHONE
If you're using WhatsApp on an iPhone, here's how you can change the photo upload quality setting.
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone. Go to the Settings tab at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap Storage and data.
- Select the Medium Upload Quality option at the bottom of the page.
- Auto (recommended) is the default selection. Change the option to the one you prefer. The best quality has the least amount of compression, but requires the most bandwidth. Data saver is ideal for when you're short on data or in an area with weak connectivity.
Now that you've changed the image upload quality on WhatsApp, your photos will be sent with minimal compression. However, if you still want to send lossless photos, you can send them as a file. Here's how you can do it.
HOW TO SEND PHOTOS AS A FILE ON IPHONE
Saving a photo in the Files app and sending it via WhatsApp results in much better image quality.
- Open the image you want to send in the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Tap the Share icon in the lower left corner of the screen.
- Select the Save to file option.
- Choose which folder you want to save the image in.
- Tap the Save button in the top right corner.
- Open WhatsApp on your iPhone and go to the chat where you want to send the image.
- Tap the "+" button next to the chat.
- Select Document.
- You will be taken to the Files app. Navigate to the folder where you saved the photo in the previous steps.
- Select the photo you want to send. Tap Send in the top right corner.
Your photo will now be sent in the best possible resolution. This is useful if you want to send high resolution images such as backgrounds or images that contain small text such as scanned documents.