Do you want to block someone on WhatsApp but are not 100% sure what that entails? Here's what to know before doing it and how to do it.
Let's take a look at how you can block a contact on WhatsApp and what happens when you do, as well as how to unblock someone if you change your mind.
What happens when you block someone on WhatsApp
- It cannot check if you have blocked it
- The messages you send to each other are not delivered.
- You can't see each other's profile pictures.
- You can't see mutual status updates after blocking someone.
- Blocking someone without reporting them doesn't erase your previous conversations with them.
- If you unblock them, you can always continue the chat from before blocking them.
- You cannot add each other to WhatsApp groups.
- If you block and report a contact, WhatsApp also deletes all your conversations with that person. Unblocking that contact does not restore previous chats.
- You will no longer see theirs and they will no longer be able to see yours.
- You can't call each other on WhatsApp.
How to block someone on Whatsapp
- Open WhatsApp on your mobile device
- Tap the contact you want to block. If you can't see the contact, use the search icon in the top right corner of the app.
- Next, tap on the three vertical dots in the top right corner.
- From the drop-down menu, select Other.
- Then select Block.
- From the options that appear, select Block. Or tap Report and Block to block and report the contact.
How to block someone using WhatsApp Web
To block someone via on your PC, follow these steps:
- Click on the three horizontal dots in the WhatsApp chat list.
- Then select Settings.
- Select stuck.
- Then, choose the option Add blocked contact.
- Select the contact you want to block or use the search bar at the top of the menu to search for the contact. Select the person you want to block.
How to unblock a contact on WhatsApp
If you still have a chat of the blocked contact
If you want to unblock the contact you just blocked, tap the chat. You will see the text that says " You blocked this contact. Touch to unlock”- then tap to unlock. A menu will appear and you can select Unlock.
Through the WhatsApp settings
Alternatively, you can access a list of blocked contacts and unblock any of them.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the chat list home page.
- Then select Settings.
- Select Account and then Privacy.
- Scroll through the options and select Contacts blocked.
- Select the contact you want to unblock and tap Unlock.
How to unblock someone on WhatsApp Web
To unblock a contact on WhatsApp using, click on the three dots icon above the chat list. Select Settings. Then, click stuck to load a list of contacts you have blocked.
Click on the contact you want to unblock and select Unlock.