Use your favorite headphones with the latest Sony home console. This article explains how to connect AirPods to a PS5, including what you need to connect. You must know that the PS5 does not support Bluetooth headphones like AirPods. To connect AirPods to PS5 you need a Bluetooth adapter.
Depending on how you connect the AirPods, you may only hear audio, and you may not be able to talk to other players. Bluetooth headphones have latency that reduces their performance and the audio may not be acceptable to very demanding gamers.
What you need to connect the AirPods to the PS5
It may seem hard to believe as the PS5 is the latest and best video game console, but it doesn't support Bluetooth audio. This means you can't use Bluetooth headphones, including AirPods, with the PlayStation 5 without purchasing an accessory.
The PS5 supports some Bluetooth accessories and the console can detect your AirPods or other headphones, but the pairing process stops at the final stage. Epic Failure!
You can work around this limitation with an adapter that supports Bluetooth audio that plugs into the console. Fortunately, there are a lot of Bluetooth adapters and they're all pretty cheap. The adapters plug into the USB ports of the PS5 or TV or the headphone jack of the PS5 controller. They all work the same way.
Although this article explicitly explains how to connect AirPods to PS5, this tutorial is useful with any Bluetooth headset (or other Bluetooth device).
AirPods flashing orange? Here's how to fix it
How to connect AirPods to PS5
To connect the AirPods to the PS5, follow these steps:
- Make sure your AirPods are charged. If your Bluetooth adapter connects to the PS5 controller and then uses a battery, make sure it's charged too. Adapters that plug into the PS5 or TV get power from those devices and do not need to be charged.
- Connect the Bluetooth adapter to your PS5, TV or controller.
- Put the Bluetooth adapter into pairing mode. Different devices enter pairing mode in slightly different ways, so read the instructions. Usually, a flashing light indicates it is in pairing mode.
- Make sure the AirPods are in their charging case, then open the case. Press and hold the button on the case.
- Press and hold the button on the AirPods case until the Bluetooth adapter light turns solid. This indicates that the AirPods are paired with the adapter. Are your AirPods not syncing with your PS5 or other device? Check out our tips on what to do when AirPods won't connect.
- Put your AirPods in your ears. Try playing games or doing something on the PS5 that plays audio. You should hear PS5 audio in your AirPods.
How to change the name of the AirPods
What to do if there is no audio
If you've followed the steps above and still can't hear anything from your AirPods, you should check that they've been paired correctly with your PS5.
- From the screen Home, select Settings.
- Select Sound.
- Select Audio output.
- Select Output device.
- On the next screen, select your Bluetooth device. You can also find useful settings in the section Accessories of Settings.
Can you chat with other players on PS5 using AirPods?
There are two critical limitations when you want to use AirPods and other Bluetooth headphones with the PS5.
First, Bluetooth headphones generally have a latency, also known as a delay, between the action on the screen and what you hear. This is due to the way Bluetooth sends audio to the headphones. If you demand very high performance from your games, audio latency with AirPods may be unacceptable.
Second, even though AirPods have a microphone (you can use them for phone calls, after all), you can't use them for chatting with other players. For this, you will need headphones made for the PS5 or a Bluetooth adapter that has a microphone to connect to the PlayStation controller.
If you want to pop in for a premium setup, you can also try Apple's high-end AirPods Max headphones. They have a headphone cable that can connect AirPods Max to the PS5 controller. Just make sure you change the correct settings for the audio output and microphone input.
- How to connect AirPods to iPhone and iPad
- How to connect AirPods to Apple Watch
- How to connect AirPods to Chromebook
- Find out how to connect Apple AirPods with your Android smartphone
- How to change the settings of AirPods and AirPods Pro